This is one of my families favourite meals! It is also one of those take-the-afternoon to languish in my kitchen and prepare an extra special meal recipes. Simply because the chopping of all our favourite ingredients takes time :) But boy, is it worth it!
1 small daikon, peeled, spiralled, julienned or grated
2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed, sliced and cut into long narrow “fries”
5-10 sprigs of fresh dill, with fluffy sprigs removed from the stem
3 carrots, peeled, spiralled, julienned or grated
1 long cucumber, sliced into thin strips
2 avocado, sliced thin
1 red pepper, cored and sliced thin
1 large mango (or two small), peeled and cut into long strips
3 cups of sushi rice, cooked according to directions
10 -15 Nori sheets (sushi wrappers)
1 cup of mayo
2-3 TBSP of your favourite hot sauce, added to your preferred taste
- Set sushi rice to cook according to directions.
- Slice and chop sweet potatoes in to “fries”. Lay out on an oiled pan in a single layer. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until golden brown.
- Prepare Spicy Mayo. Simply add hot sauce to mayo and stir. Keep adding hot sauce until your reach a spiciness slightly hotter than you like when tasting the mayo straight. This way the spiciness will be distinct enough to taste when you add it to the sushi roll.
- Prepare vegetables, mango and dill (daikon, carrots, cucumber, avocado, red pepper, mango and dill) and set out on a large platter or divided serving tray.
- Prepare your sushi rolling station with a sushi rolling mat, nori sheets, a small bowl of water, a sharp knife and a bowl for your hot rice.
- When the rice is ready, add a few large scoops to your bowl (and be sure to keep the rest of the rice hot!) and begin rolling your sushi!
**check out youtube for instructions on how to roll your sushi.**
- For sushi, cut your roll into 1-1.5inch wide sections. For Sushi Burritos, cut your roll in the middle on a diagonal (see photo)
- Dip in soy sauce or tamari and enjoy!
Tip: Add your ingredients in the following order to keep the spicy mayo from squirting out or getting in the way of your sushi rolling - Nori sheet, rice, spicy mayo, soft veggies and last hard veggies.
Non-vegan version: Grill up a salmon fillet and add it to your sushi!