Serves 8-10. Feel free to halve the recipe for a more modest amount.
Fall Panzanella with Tempeh and Maple Mustard Dressing
Maple Mustard Dressing:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, rosemary, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and drizzle the olive oil over top. Toss to coat. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden and fragrant.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 F.
- Place the cubed squash on one half of a second large, rimmed baking sheet and the cubed tempeh on the other half.
- Mix up the dressing: Combine the oil, lemon, balsamic, maple syrup, mustard, tamari, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a jar. Secure the lid and shake to combine. Pour ¼ cup of the dressing over the tempeh and toss to coat. Drizzle the squash with about ½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place in the oven. Remove the tempeh after 15 minutes and transfer into a very large bowl. Return the squash to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, until tender.
- Once the squash is ready, add it to the bowl of tempeh, along with the bread. Add the remaining ingredients (celery, cabbage, apple, kale, pumpkin seeds, and sauerkraut). Add the dressing and toss to incorporate. I like to “massage” the dressing into the kale so that it gets nice and tender.
- Eat and enjoy!