Did you know that the honey you find on the Farm Store shelves isn’t just local - it’s super local!
The hives that produce our Ottawa Farm Fresh honey are housed right here on the Farm, tucked into a quiet corner where the bees are welcome to come and go as they please, collecting pollen and nectar from a smorgasbord of veggie plants and flowers. This is what gives our honey its unique flavour - a distinct taste that is generated by the local palette of flowers that the bees feed on. It is an expression of this land, just like the veggies we grow.
All About The Barking Bee Company
We have local apiarists The Barking Bee Company to thank for this unique and delicious treat! Barking Bees are local apiarists based in Kemptville with hives across Eastern Ontario. The team is dedicated to increasing the local honey supply in a sustainable and environmentally conscious way while supporting local farms and food suppliers, which is a mission that aligns perfectly with ours.
What Makes Barking Bee Honey Different?
Barking Bee honey has nothing added and nothing taken away.
This is honey in its purest., most natural form - raw, unpasteurized, and unfiltered. This honey isn’t just a sugar substitute, it’s a local super food that offers significant health benefits.
- Immune booster that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants
- It’s antimicrobial and antibacterial properties make it an effective treatment for wounds and infections
- Consuming raw, unfiltered honey can provide natural relief from seasonal allergies thanks to the trace amounts of pollen from the surrounding area, which can help build immunity to seasonal allergens.
- The pollen in raw, unpasteurized honey adds nutritional value in the form of fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, potentially fighting inflammation and free-radical damage.
- Honey is an effective remedy for soothing sore throats and coughs, in adults and children alike.
Whether you’re eating honey for its health benefits, or simply because it’s delicious, we say bring it on! Personally, we love it on or in just about anything. We add it to salad dressing, drizzle it over smoothie bowls, mix it with miso paste to marinate eggplant, add it to roasted veggies to make them extra sticky sweet, or just savour it straight from the jar on a spoon. Honey is such a versatile ingredient, it can make any ordinary dish extraordinary.